Skip to main content

What happens in startup networking event?

A segment of a social networkImage via Wikipedia

Startup saturday is organized by headstart.in on every second saturday of every month for the past few years. Headstart.in is a great initiative by a group of go-getters about few years back. The venue is mostly a conference room in IIMB bangalore as the initiative is supported by NSR Cell.

I have soaked my hands in freelancing for about a year and felt qualified to attend such a meet.
My nerves betray me when I try to get social. This time I was adamant to push my luck.
I have been alone for so many days. No team in physical form around. Social isolation. Lost connection with regular job goers and their pristine topics.
Facebook was constructing their social graphs and what was I doing here in isolation?. A man alone in single island is good for a few days but then you need to ride the dolphin/shark/whale based on your luck and your accompanying stars.

And I bit the social bullet and here are few glimpses.

If you are not used to it then it could be ample road rollers around you. But if you are then you sail through.
The sequence of sentence can go like this
"Hi, I am Dhaval, a freelancer, into web based projects.".
"I am a freelancer into open source."
"I get my work online and deliver it online."
"I have been in IT for 10 years."
"I mostly take python/django based projects. But have done Google scripts and other integration with Google data APIs and salesforce etc.,"
Not many survive till the last pitch line as there is bound to be somebody crashing into the other guy or you wanting to go to other guy or "lo and behold" something pounding on you too and you lose your clue. Me, I dont believe it. But I love it.

or there could be somebody who says

"I am a socialogist. I take sessions on sexuality in schools and colleges."
"I have had two rounds of funding. I have crores in my order book and I dont give a damn to big names."
"I am established and have a business. I came here to enable the strugglers and show them the light at end of tunnel without stumbling on the same rocks as me."
"You are my prosperous customer. Why dont  you buy my services?"
Somebody was hiring but I just could not meet them.

Then you get to witness fantastic speakers.
A lady from altius consulting who uses parables/fables as tools to communicate and conceptualize a marketing strategy for startups for a reasonable fee.

Few quotes
  • You and your friend in jungle of startup being followed by a disruptive innovation called as tiger. You only have to outrun your competition, your friend in order to survive. Ignore the jungle and rest of animals and their kingdom.
A gentleman from 2020 social media company urging us to focus on customer before doing the startup roller coaster.

Few quotes, they are distorted because I do not recall the exact verse
  • A founder creates a powerful distortion field around his idea. He inspires co-founders and his stakeholders to believe his version of distortion. 
  • Know your customer before you write single line of code. Know what he will pay and why will he come to know.
  • Listen to your customer and include their feedback in your business.
 Startup buddies -
A initiative to group people doing diverse startups. Allow them to brainstorm and meet on regular basis to keep the momentum going.
1m-1m -
Introduction to Sramana Mitra's initiative to create a million startups having million dollors revenue.

In the society in which we live in where youth pursuing ventures are treated as social morons, a much needed relief to know that I am not the only one who is drugged.

Disclaimer:
I am not a efficient networker. This is not a inside scoop.It is only a reaction from a first time visitor in the jungles where startups dare to dwell.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shivani, Brahmakumaries and Aastha channel

She comes twice on TV from 7:10 PM to 7:40 PM and 10:30 to 11:00 PM on Aastha channel. The spiritual channel story in India is on same lines as that of Aaj Tak , which was run by local ads before the big boys put ads on them. Today Shivani, a Brahmakumari mentioned that 99% of the cause of anger and frustration is elsewhere, it is not in the spur of the moment, when you hurt somebody or get hurt by somebody. Instead of reacting instantaneously , or pestering the reaction in the mind post the incident till eternity , can you wonder "Why is that soul so angry, what is bothering her? I am sure there is something more than what she has told me now?". The chain of thoughts that emerge lead you to compassion, releases love vibrations into the air. Love has a very subtle medium to reach out. You cannot yell and throw around love and claim that you are helping somebody by your love. You have to surrender to love and let love take over. You cannot correct the world. You can onl

Final Group Sadhana with HariHaran Mani

Today's meditation was drive down the memory lane. The events of the past few months/years simple drizzled in and out. The location had been flat#508 Cassia block in Brigade Millennium. The flat was on rental by  +Hariharan Mani , an +Art of Living  teacher, actuarial practitioner and meditator from Mumbai. It was here that we began our Group Sadhana about a year and half back. Today's idea was from  +Balakrishnan Ganesan  and original idea was from Shuchi. All of us are in photo above. Yesterday Bala said, lets do it for one last time. He messaged again that we had to bring our own yoga mats. There was a time when we had kept one carpet for morning Group Sadhana at Hari's flat. People joined and left us at different points of time. I remembered that Agnihotra Homa was to be performed at sunrise so messaged back that my entry would be delayed. In the end we gave a moist eyes good byes to Mr Hari and his bangalore stay. His memories and common moments will remain wi

सोहम का महत्व - live ashtavakra by Sri Sri RaviShankarji

मैं वही हूँ. न मैं त्रितिये व्यक्ति मैं हूँ, न द्वितीये व्यक्ति मैं हूँ. मैं खुद खुदा हूँ. सो हम. यह नाम तुम्हे दिया गया है. यह तुम नहीं हो. एक बार एक संत जंगल के बीच मैं अपनी झोपड़ी मैं थे. तब वहां कोई ढेर सारा खाना लेके आ गया. उन्हें हैरानी हुई कि ऐसा क्यूं हुआ. तभी वहां ३-४ लोग आये ओर उनसे कहा कि हम भूखे हैं, हमें भोजन चाह्यिये. संत  ने कहा कि मिल जाएगा. वह लोग हैरान हुए ओर कहा कि यहाँ तो कुछ नज़र नहीं आता है. तब संत ने कहा कि "सच है कि मेरे पास कुछ नहीं है, लेकिन मैं जिसके पास हूँ उनके पास सब कुछ है. "   माँ बच्चे  को जन्म देने से पहले ही उसमें दूध आ जाता है. प्रकृति का नियम है कि जहाँ प्यास होनी होती है वहां पहले से पानी व्याप्त होता है. यह दूसरी बात है कि आपको  दीखता नहीं है.   आप पूर्ण हो क्यूंकि आप पूर्ण से बने हो ओर पूर्ण मैं रहते हो ओर पूर्ण मैं जाना है. पूर्ण मैं से पूर्ण को निकालने से क्या पूर्ण अधूरा हो जाता है. आप अकेले से बोर क्यूं होते हैं, क्यूंकि आप ने अपने आप को नीरस कर दिया है. आपके पास जिस परमात्मा को होना था वह आपको कहीं ओर दीखता है. आपके पास